Search This Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Thoughts about the hobby community

 
I decided today to start this blog because I wanted share some of my hobby knowledge with the wargames miniatures community. I have benefitted a lot from others sharing their ideas and I wanted to start sharing what I'm working on and techniques that I employ. I have been into miniatures since 1993 starting with Hero Quest (which I didn't paint) and later on moved to basic D&D. I began to play AD&D 2nd edition shortly afterward. In role playing games I got into the assembly and painting of miniatures. These were mainly Ral Partha minis and I still have them in my possession surprisingly. I had little to no skill when painting and it showed, however it was a start into a hobby that I am still passionate about today. I was always interested in the combat aspect of D&D so I would naturally be attracted to other games that focused on combat. In January of 1997 I was introduced to Warhammer 40K and was instantly hooked. The internet was a new thing in my area back then and I didn't quite have a lot of the resources that I now take for granted. I had plenty of frustrating experiences working with the more complex Citadel models and if my gaming group were more knowledgeable or we had an outside source for that knowledge then I would have saved myself wasted hours. I would occasionally pick up a White Dwarf Magazine if it had a useful painting technique, but other than that it was a slow process for me. I think that the best way to build your skills in this hobby is to find a physical community that has "hobby nights" every now and then where you can all share what you're working on. If that is not available then find an online community (usually on a forum) that is receptive to people asking basic hobby questions. I will try to keep this project alive for anyone who is interested in what I have to share.


-J


Here are some of my current in-work projects. They range from NetEpic Squats to Flames of War Soviets.

No comments:

Post a Comment